Diane Steiner is of counsel in the Matrimonial & Family Law practice group at SELW, where she handles all aspects of family law, including custody, paternity, divorce, separation, and litigation, as well as drafting pre and post marital agreements.
In addition to numerous local bar associations, Diane is a fellow of both the prestigious American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. She has been designated a Super Lawyer by her peers since its inception and is listed in Best Lawyers in America. She has an AV rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Directory.
Prior to obtaining her law degree from Cardozo in 1989, she was a speech therapist, audiologist, and founded her own accessory company. Diane’s decision to study law grew out of her own painful divorce, which formed the basis for her unwavering commitment to her client’s needs. As an interesting aside, she and her son were the first mother/son team to be admitted to the New York bar on the same day.
Having been through a contentious divorce when her children were adolescents, Diane is able to empathize with her clients. She understands the trauma that her clients experience during the divorce process and the emotional impact a divorce has on the family, as a whole.
Prior to joining SELW, Diane was Of Counsel to the Family Law Group at Greenspoon Marder and was previously a member of prominent matrimonial firms, Aronson, Mayefsky & Sloan and Phillips Nizer.
In addition to her private practice, Diane serves as volunteer pro bono counsel for survivors of domestic abuse at Sanctuary for Families.
Greenspoon Marder LLP
Aronson Mayefsky & Sloan
Professional & Civic Affiliations
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Awards & Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV® Preeminent ™
- U.S. News & World Report, “Best Lawyers in America“ Family Law, 2012 to date.
- Super Lawyers magazine, “New York Super Lawyers,” Metro Edition, 2007, 2009 to date
- Super Lawyers magazine, “Top 50 Women New York,” Metro Super Lawyers List, 2010
- Appointed as a Neutral Evaluator by the N.Y. Supreme Court to meet with parties and their counsel in an attempt to resolve issues before trial
- Appointed as an arbitrator for fee dispute
- Trained by the N.Y. Peace Institute as a mediator
- Designated as Super Lawyer since inception
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Designated AV rating in Martindale-Hubbell Directory
Education & Admissions
J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 1989
B.A., M.S., Speech Pathology and Audiology, Adelphi University,
College of Staten Island “Certification in Admission”, CUNY
New York State Bar Admission: 1990
Court Admissions: U.S District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York